Minutes from Administrative Council Meeting on November 20, 2013
Location: Hardin Valley Campus
Attendees: Brandon Ballentine, Mary Bledsoe, Susan Breeding, Carolyn Carson, Dean Copple, Rachael Cragle, Michele DeFelice, Les Fout, Li Gao, Spencer Joy, Becky Milam, Richard Smelser, Fonda Vickery, Lois Williams
Attendees By Adobe Connect: Debi Bolton
(Brandon was running wireless using Adobe Connect on his laptop for those who did not attend in person.)
Thank you, Brandon, for the donuts.
Minutes from last meeting were approved by Carolyn Carson and seconded by Rachael Cragle.
No money has been spent so far this year.
- After some discussion it was agreed that the December Administrative Council meeting would be a Pot Luck on Wednesday, December 18th at 9:00. There will be no business just food and company.Brandon will check R25 for the availability of the room.
- The auction will be here before we know it. Fonda Vickery and Nancy Rasnake will be the co-chairs, and the event will take place the week of spring fling spanning a 3 day period.
3. The Valentine’s Day Event will be on Valentine’s Day which is a Friday and a full moon. There will be a Doodle Poll for sign up’s. Rachael Cragle will be the chair and Michele DeFelice will be her assistant. There was discussion about sheet cakes at the Hardin Valley Campus and how much more everyone liked the home made goodies. Sheet cakes may still be the used at the site campuses, but Hardin Valley will downsize on sheet cakes or have none at all. Les Fout will serve as the delivery man for the site campuses.
Carolyn Carson was our first 20/20 speaker and spoke about the Placement Office.
The Placement Office:
- Compiles student and graduate credentials to share with employers
- Maintains Co-op Program
- Provides Resume Development Assistance
- Arranges practice interview situations
- Conducts Career Fairs/Job Fairs
- Works with area businesses to assure they know about our programs and graduates/students
Pellissippi is in the top of placement compared to other TBR schools.
“There is no crystal ball”, Carolyn says, but the Placement Office does an excellent job. Mary Bledsoe, as a neighbor to the Placement Office, complemented all of Carolyn and Doris’ hard work.
Becky Milam shares the statistics from the Placement Office at orientation and parents and others are very impressed. Even companies, like Denzo, compliment Carolyn and her hard work.
Brandon Ballantine took us to The New Classroom in GN 232 –the new emerging technology classroom.
Students grade the classroom after using it. The room is quite adaptable with chairs that come apart into a video rocker and a lap top stand, a floor to ceiling dry erase wall, rotating tables to make different formations, 3 center boards for projectors, 2 HD projectors, 22 IPADS, Dell laptops that rotate and become tablets. There is an access point in the center of the room. Instructors can present from IPADS, a Mac, or the instructor podium. Even smart phones can be connected to the boards.
The room is used for actual classes, special meetings, and demonstrations. It is constantly changing and some of the successes are rolled into other classrooms across the campus as technology ages and needs replacement. It is a testing ground for new technology against what students and faculty like and use.
Projecting the classroom to other sites is being explored.
Interestingly some students get upset when things fail.
Thank you to Carolyn and Brandon for their excellent and informative presentations!
Carolyn Carson won the flashlight key ring door prize, and Li Gao won the $20 gift card to the bookstore. Congratulations to Carolyn and Li. Mary Bledsoe solicited for any freebies to be donated for door prizes.
There will be the social in December, 2013.
There will be no meeting in January, 2014.
The 20/20 in February may be just a 20 and Fonda Vickery will check with Mark Cotter about presenting on TRiO, the student support services.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 AM.
Recorder: Susan D. Breeding