IN my final blog I just what to say, I have really enjoyed the class as a whole. There were some areas I had some problems with, the week we worked with the simulator was one of them, and I just didn’t get it. I think this was one of the assignments I made a bit harder in my one mind than what it truly was, but we live and learn. Another lesson I didn’t like is the building a computer assignment another miss when it came to my grade. I totally miss understood the assignment and went down a different road when finishing it. I would suggest to future students pay attention and if you don’t understand don’t wait until the assignment is done to get the help you need.
I would have to say my favorite assignments would consist of some of the in lab assignments. I love the html assignment, it was my first attempt to making a webpage, it was easy and defiantly a lot of fun. This is one assignment I believe future students will also enjoy. Another assignment I enjoyed was the week we work with Scratch, it was amazing to me how easy it was to do something like that with very little effort; even my seven year old daughter got into the Scratch program if a child can enjoy playing with it, you know it must be fun. I guess you can see a trend here “If it’s fun “I enjoy it. There have been some great lectures also, in the week we did virtual worlds and games we watch a couple of videos, I was surprised to learn there is such a thing as being addicted to games, and some of the signs and symptoms were the same as being addicted to taking a drug or alcohol, personally I don’t understand how that is possible, but I guess it the same as any addiction it can take over your life, but on the other hand I’ve learned that these games had a possible output, in helping people with disabilities have some type of normalcy. Giving people the ability to be themselves so to speak, it allows people to open up and show their true selves.
I’ve really enjoy learning about the different people though out history, who have influenced technology as we know it today people like Alan Turing ,Charles Baggage, and John Van Neumann, and other who created the hardware and software that make our lives easier people like Steve Jobs, Steve Woniac, and Bill Gates. I know I’m not going to get extra credit for saying this, but I have really enjoyed this class, I like the teaching style and the way Dr. Brown had a passion in teaching this class. The Comics have been a great tool to making the experiences better not counting you save money because there is are no books to bye. All in all I am taking from this class some great knowledge, thanks again Dr. Brown for a great learning experience.
Comments Off on My Final Blog
Well to be honest I haven’t really played any of these games, but while watching the video the other night it really open up my understanding how some people can become addicted to this, in alot of ways addiction to computer games are the same as a drug addiction. I guess in some ways it is a drug if thats all you think about, it could become unhealthly and destructive; now on the other hand it has help so many people to overcome their disabilities by allowing them to feel normal. These games stimulates their brain and senses and gives them experience to actually feel like their walking or moving, another thing is in the virtual world there is no discriminations which allows you to be yourself without putting on another face no pun intended.. I don’t feel anything is wrong with it unless a person starts neglecting what is truely important, like family, work, or their livelyhood. Sorry I really haven’t had any experience with these virtural worlds, but Dr. Brown I am thankful for the experience to learn more about all these new things.
Comments Off on virtural worlds and games
Artificial intelligence is a very interesting subject, I was thinking of some different ways one might program a computer to recognize and understand human language and be able to interpret the meaning of words. One thought I had was if someone could find a way to transfer the thoughts and memories of a person directly into a computer, you can see some examples of this on the SyFy channel with the series Caprica where the scientist transfers the memories and experiences of his dead daughter into a robot. If someone could design a computer database to work like a human brain and there could be the possibility for the computer to have all the five senses All in all I really am amazed with the thought that one day the computercould become self aware.
Comments Off on AI
I find robotics very interesting, watching the films and seeing how difficult it was to program robots to do simple things, such as mimic movements or to make a logical decision. It shows us how complex the human mind and body truly is. You know I found myself thinking while watching some of these videos on robots, that it would be something to actually write a program to where you could give a robot the ability to think and make decisions on their own. we have seen a small part of this type of programming in the videos with the cars, give them the capibility to drive cross country without human intervention. I’m starting to believe in time Robots will be able to do all of the above without human interaction. I also think there is a possibility robots will come to the place where their knowledge will encrease without human programming. The last thing I would like to write about is working with the Lego’s, I’ve really had a good time working directly with robotics, it gives you a different perspective about robotics and how some programs make it not so easy to program.
Comments Off on My thought and experience this week with and about robots
Some of my thoughts about hacking are, I feel there are hackers who are not out to hurt or harm anyone ,they’re just out for the thrill and excitement of it. Now concerning myself, I wouldn’t even hack my way out of a paper bag, but I sure have thought about how cool it would be to be able to be have the ability. The thrill of doing something or going somewhere I’m not suppose to gives a major rush. Now about viruses, I’ve tried to be careful about downloading or opening emails, because I know viruses can come in many different ways. I worked for a company one time and someone had sent a ” I love you” virus through the company email, everyone in managers and HR receive it . well one of the managers wasn’t that bright and opened it and it infected our whole network and It took awhile to get everything back up and running. Viruses are destructive and can cost a lot of money to replace or repair the damage done to ones computer and security is important, because you’ve these viruses can be very destructive. I have how easy it is for people to have identities stolen and password and accounts broken into,one time I went into my bank and overheard one of the tellers, telling a customers she was negative $845,000 dollars my mouth drop to the floor. I thought is I better close my account and get my money out before this happens to me . Someone had hack into her account and got her information. I’ve believe The more computers advance, and technology grows so does the human threat, I believe there will always be hackers and eventually they’ll find away to bypass the securities that are already in place.
Comments Off on Thoughts concerning Hacking,viruses and other security issue.
I really like the Scratch program, it was pretty easy to use and I could do some crazy stuff with it, I found myself getting a little obsessed with it the other night, I play around with the program for about five hours. I am excited to see what other students have done with Scatch. When I get finished writting this blog I believe i’m gonna to play some more with the Scatch.
Now about the Randy Pausch, I was really impressed by the way he looked at life not just because he was terminally ill, but because his view on life as a whole.He wasn’t afraid to dream it didn’t matter how crazy it may have seem to others he followed through and actually accomplished and exceeded his dreams. I have a confession to make, I can look back at some of the dreams I had as a child and see now how I never really accomplished any of them. While listening to Randy Pausch speak, I found myself being somewhat convicted on how the goals I set and certain areas of my life are truely lacking. One of those areas is, the ablitiy to truely believe I can achieve anything if I only put my heart and mind to it; another area is the ability to look beyond myself and believe that anything is possible. As a minister I have preached faith many of a time, but now I can see that it is not always what you say that matters, its what you do. I need to put feet on my dreams and set goals and do what ever I need to-to accomplish them. Another thing he spoke about that really help me personally, not every time someone may criticize something your doing or the way your acting, they are not out to hurt you, it can be those people truely care about us. There is a saying that goes like this, even a broken clock is right twice a day. If we just take the time to listen to what people have to say we may learn something that can truly help us. Thanks again Dr. Brown for introducing us to these outlets of knowledge.
Comments Off on Scratch and Randy Pausch
well I think my view has defantly changed about the web, now I feel the web has become more than just a way to search out informations it has become a tool to express myself. Making my webpage using html has shown me I can also create something and leave a little bit of myself for others to evaluate. It also has gave me a desire to learn more creative ways to update my webpage. I’m sure there is alot more I can do if I only increase my knowledge codes and commands. I’ve always been a artist at heart, and the html is a way to make some beautiful and amazing works of art. Thanks Dr Brown for introducing html to us. Now about SQL and databases, I learned that these are ways of storing informations by means of long term memory in every part of our culture, individually, and in business.SQL”s and databases can be use in keeping up with inventory, phone numbers and addresses . They can also be programmed to fit what ever a person or organization needs may be.
Comments Off on my view on the web
I thought html was going to be difficult, but contrary to that making the html hand coded page, was quite easy and fun, before I knew it , I found myself just playing with it, I believe i’m going to have alot of fun doing this assignment and am looking forward to learning more on what else I could do with this type of format. I’ve looked on the web and found some amazing website and the designs, and would love to be able to get to that point were I can create a page like some of the ones i’ve viewed. One thing I would love to learn is how to create my own 3D HD background and animated pages and I defiantly would be open to suggestions. Thanks Dr. Brown for introducing me to html, i’ve had alot of fun and again i’m looking forward to learning more.
Comments Off on my post on html
Well to start with, I understood what machine code is just biniary code , i’ve undstood some of what the assmembly code does it translates an operation code and address, and registered it into bianary. I didn’t like my experiences with the simulator it was interesting , but for some reason my mind couldn’t get a grasp on it. sorryI don’t have much to say this week. I was getting a little frustrated trying to understand how to do certain things in the assignment, exspecially when it came to the assembly code simulator.
Comments Off on Machine code, assembly code and simulator
The parts I would need to build a computer would be
- Computer case
- Mother board
- Optical drive
- Hard Drive
- Power supply
- Video Card
- I found a website that sells kits where all or most of these parts were include in one price the name of the website is www.Tigerdirect.com
- Putting the computer together.
- Keep yourself grounded while assembling be careful not to touch golden pins
- Lift of leaver on motherboard Align CPU to motherboard drop push leaver down
- Install cooler latch into place
- Read manual on where to put DDR ram, make sure you put the memory the right way in the slots.
- Put in ATX backplane connector pop into place
- make sure the holes line up put mother board into Case the screw in
- Take out the drive cage first Next install the hard drive. Slide it in from back of cage then put screws in slide back into case. Then screw in the cage back into the case.
- Next install the optical drive slide it in from the front line up with holes in case then put in screws
- Next connect front panel connectors. Plug in power switch connector first. Then plug in the reset switch. Then the hard drive light. Make sure you put positive on positive and negative on negative. Plug in you USB connectors, and HG audio connectors. Be careful not to connect the Fire wire ports and USB ports connectors in wrong place.
- Install power supply; Make sure it’s line up, before you screw it in.
- The last thing to install in video card. slide card into slot apply some pressure put screw in and secure
- Connect the power cords
- Connect video card connectors make sure cord says PCIE before you connect them.
- Connect SATA wire into mother board then connect to hard drive
- Connect the fans with four pin connectors
- Install software then drivers update you drivers
The reason I choice these parts
- CPU When picking my processor I wanted to find something that will be able to keep up with growing technology, to be able to read any future programs without having problems.
- When choosing a cooler for my CPU I would want one that is made specifically for the Name brand for my CPU, because it would make it easier to install.
- Now when it comes to choosing a mother board I would like to have one that has enough slots for future upgrades and be able to handle new technology ; to have more slots just in case I wanted to upgrade the Ram or ad new hard ware
- Now when it comes to the ram I would get enough Ram to match or exceed the processing speed on my computer that way I don’t have to worry about my computer freezing up.
- How I would choice my optical drive, I would want one that has the capability of not just reading but that can also burn DVD’s and CD’s; today I don’t think I would have a problem with this, because I believe all of today’s optical drives have this capability.
- When choosing a power supply I would what something that if I decided to upgrade my video card, that my power supply would be able to power my upgrade.
- I don’t play a lot of games on the computer but if I did I would want a video card that I can play real time video and be able to watch HD videos on my computer monitor.
- You know I like a hard drive that has a lot of memory, I’ve got a computer now that has about 300 GB of space a few years ago I would have never imagined I would need this much memory, but I found out quickly when you start backing up DVD’s and music and installing some of the new games that are out it uses memory very quickly So I pick a hard drive that would have at 500 to 750 GB of space.
- I didn’t have a lot of knowledge about each part so I did some research on the web to understand better what I was looking for but the most importantly reason I choice these parts are the cost. I looked around on the internet and found a website that has complete computer kits. I found one that fit what I was looking for, I found out it’s also a lot cheaper to buy a kit than trying to buy each part separately. I found a kit for 429.99 with rebate that included, a Gigabyte GA-H55,-S2H motherboard, Intel Core i3 530 Processor, OCZ RC3 10666 Platinum RAM, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB HD, Ultra X blaster Mid-t Case, and Ultra L 500-watt Power Supply. If I wanted to add a video card I found one at this site that would meet my needs for $69.99 EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB HDTV Video card. So for around $500.00 I could have a really nice PC.
Comments Off on Assignment 3 Building a computer