Skype for Business instant messaging (IM) is an efficient way to connect with your contacts in real time and on a moment’s notice. Less formal than email, faster than a phone call—IM is tough to beat for speed and ease of use. You can send an instant message from anywhere in Skype for Business where you see a contact. Just check that the person’s presence indicator is green first. This indicates that they are available.
Check to See if Your Colleague is Free
- In the main Skype for Business window, scroll through your list of contacts and locate your coffee buddy. (If they aren’t in your contacts list yet, visit our post on Adding a Contact.)
- Take a look at their round profile picture. If there’s a green dot in the lower right of their picture, then they are most likely at their computer and available to meet via Skype for Business.
IM Your Colleague When Presence is set to Available
- Hover over your colleagues picture to access the quick menu.
- Click the IM button to send an instant message.
- In the IM window, type a message to your colleague.