Faculty Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes
Meeting – February 28, 2007
- Meeting was called to order by Bob Stern at 3:30 p.m. Senators in attendance: Ashley Boone, Rick Bower, Carol Brenner, Lawana Day, Judy Fethe, Mark Fuentes, David Gilbert, Sydney Gingrow, Maggie Jenkins, Anne Kinggard, Jonathan Lamb, Mary Monroe-Ellis, Jonathan Morrell, Rick Patton, Garry Pennycuff, Paul Ramp, Trish Roller, Wanda Scarbro, Bob Stern, Anne Swartzlander, Donnie Thomas, Dave Vinson, Pat Zingg.
- Minutes were approved.
- Officer Reports:
- Secretary: no report
- Communications Officer: no report
- TBR Representative:
– Condensed emails with sub council updates will be sent.
– Report from Learning Council: FTE is way above the state average. State funding for a new Blount Campus was not approved for this year, but should be at the top of the list for next year. There is a budget increase of around one million dollars. F building should be finished by July 15. The Goins renovations will include extending the 2nd floor. The student lounge will not be lost. Twenty faculty offices will be relocated to a new double wide portable.
- Committee Reports:
- Adjunct Faculty: no report
- Student Scholarships: $1300 has already been raised. Signs will be put up on Hardin Valley Road, Solway Road and Division Street to bring in street traffic. We still need books. Some instructors are offering extra credit to students who bring in books. An advertisement has been emailed to faculty. Please print out a copy and post it somewhere to drum up business. Match the baby pictures to the names of faculty to win prizes (gift certificates). Everyone should have received the pictures on the bag that you received through campus mail.
- Rules: Any senator wishing to serve on the rules committee should come to the next meeting. March 21, 2:30-3:30, Blount County.
- Evaluation: no report
- Nominating Committee: no report
- Promotion/Tenure: Packets are available to read through March 2.
- Calendar Committee: no report
- Unfinished Business:
If anyone has suggestions for the rules committee, email Donnie Thomas.
- New Business:
VP Selection Interviews:
The schedule for the meeting with the VP candidates has been distributed.
Each candidate will meet with members of faculty senate from 11-12 on
Mar. 12, 21, and 26. The general sessions will be in Goins Auditorium on the
same dates from 1:15 – 2:15 pm. Each candidate will give a presentation in the general session. Each candidate will visit the sites in the late afternoon for a tour and time for questions from site faculty.
- The next meeting will be at the Blount Campus, BL132, at 3:30 pm.
The April meeting has been changed to April 25. Dr. Paula Short, TBR Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, will be at this meeting to answer questions and discuss issues important to faculty. She has requested a list of questions ahead of time, so that she will be prepared to answer them. These questions should be sent to Mary Monroe-Ellis. Dr. Short will also accept questions from the floor.
- The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 p.m.