- Draft – Faculty Senate Minutes
- March 30, 2016
- Magnolia Campus
- Call to Order: Alex Fitzner
Meeting was called to order by Fitzner at 3:47p
Senators in attendance:
Alex Fitzner, President, Jeff Lockett, Secretary, Sally Lighter, Communications Officer, Dave Vinson, TBR Representative, Toni McDaniels, Business officer, Donn King, Parliamentarian, Engineering and Media Technology: Ron Goodrich, Business and Computer Technology: Tammie Bolling, Elizabeth McCowan, English: Lawana Day, Nick Morgan, Chester Needham. Liberal Arts: Jennifer Brickey, Charles Cardwell., Frank Mashburn. Mathematics: Chris Culliton, Bob Stern, Jonathan Lamb, Natural/Behavioral Science: Rebecca Glatt, Nursing: Ann Sherman. Library Services: Janine Pino. Division Street Representative: Mike Murphy. Blount County Representative: Margaret McCrary. Magnolia Representative: Bob Boyd, Adjunct Faculty Representative: Gabe Crowell, Lori Price, Promotion and Tenure: Mark Fuentes.
Approval of Minutes: Toni McDaniel
The meeting was called to order and the Minutes of the February 24th meeting were approved.
- Officer Reports:
Secretary: Jeff Lockett- Introduced Jake Hamrich to the senate as our new president-elect.
Communications: Sally Lighter-No report.
TBR Representative: Dave Vinson reported that from TBR Sub council discussion concerning the outsourcing of staff positions he heard opposing statements. Initially he heard that no institution would be able to opt out of this business office decision and that in a follow-up visit to sub council he heard responses to this opinion which stated that included an opt out option for individual institutions. Vinson also noted that he has been appointed to a TBR committee to explore campus bookstores beginning in May, 2016. In reference to this new appointment, Vinson asked for any input from PSCC senators.
President: Alex Fitzner announced that in reference to FOCUS Act there is a renewed focus on community colleges and hopes for a positive outcome. Fitzner brought up the proposed changes to the tobacco policy, 08:06:00, and said that it has not yet come up in President’s council. He also commented on new changes taking place with the security forces used at PSCC. He said that there are new training initiatives which are available to all security personnel as well as new organizational strategies in discussion. His opinion is that the security staff believe this to be a positive move. Regarding an update to the school’s budget, Dr. Wise reported to Fitzner that our allocations will fund salaries first and will include continued compensation studies. Dr. Wise is asking for an increase in salaries for adjunct instructors from TBR. Concerning spring break, Dr. Wise will be asking to position ours with UTK and Knox County Schools. Fitzner’s attendance at the strategic planning meeting last week prompted insight into the upcoming staffing and attendance proposals which will have gen-ed course available in block format at site campuses and should allow full programs to be completed at a single campus. Advising is still working on a team approach according to Rachel Cragle. Several options will be available to faculty concerning advising roles. There will be an accelerated Business degree program at Blount and new online degree pathways for history, accounting, business administration, information systems, economics, finance, marketing and management.
Adjunct representative: No report
Student Scholarships: No report
Rules Committee: Donn King reports that the online version of the faculty senate constitution needs to be updated and that he will be stepping down as parliamentarian to be replaced by Trent Eads.
Nominating Committee: No report
Promotion/Tenure Committee: No report
Faculty Development: No report
Accessibility Oversight: No report
- Alex Fitzner returned to the faculty evaluation policy, 06:02:04, Section V, part G, and proposed changes to remove language that is primarily tied into the old process of student evaluations that took place in the classroom during class time. The motion to accept these changes was made and carried.
- Fitzner proposed the following changes to Section V, part K:
If the Immediate Supervisor wishes to exceed the minimum number of evaluations for an entire department, then that Supervisor will gain the approval of a majority of the tenured faculty in that department prior to implementation. This approval will be signified by the agreement of a simple majority of the tenured faculty of that department. The motion was seconded and carried.
- Change all references to Vice President of Learning to Chief Academic Office
- Pat Zingg proposed not to have Good Friday as a school holiday. The motion failed and there was a motion to postpone discussion of the issue indefinitely. The motion carried.
- Rebecca Glatt presented three concerns for senate consideration: Breastfeeding Stations, Maternity/Parental Leave and Sick Leave. All three concerns had motions to form committees to explore options with regard to policy. All motions to form committees carried.
- Fitzner brought up the need for senate elections and announced that new senators will be attending the April 27th meeting with outgoing senators.
- Fitzner nominated Donn King to be awarded the Nina McPherson Award for service to the college. The nomination carried unanimously.
Announcements – no new announcements
- Meeting was adjourned at 5:10