Periscope web site

“In Our Words” is planned to be a student “sister” event to our successful Faculty Lecture Series. Rather than one student being “on” for 45 minutes to an hour, though, we plan to bring together three or four students around a theme.

Our first one (“In Our Words: Fighting Real Dragons”) features three students who have dealt with significant challenges in order to be successful at Pellissippi State. Hundreds, even thousands, of our students face challenges that are as difficult, but perhaps most of them think they are alone because people tend not to talk about such things. We perceive this session, therefore, as being encouraging to all students in the sense of “we can too.”

This IOW will originate from the West Chevrolet Auditorium on the Blount County campus at 10:45 a.m. next Tuesday, Feb. 16. If you are able to bring your class, we would encourage you to do so, and please share the information with all your classes, since students who have that time period open would certainly benefit. However, the auditorium only seats about 100 people, so tell them to arrive early. (Doors will open at about 10:15.)

So why is this showing up on the Mobile Fellows blog? We also plan to use Periscope to share this event with the world. Periscope enables simple “broadcasting” to a worldwide audience via mobile devices. (You can also follow along via a web site, but an app on a mobile device is the simplest way for an individual to access it.)

First, grab the free app. You can get it for iOS devices, and for Android.

The easiest way I have found to set up an account is with a Twitter account. If you already have one of those, just sign in via Twitter. The process makes it easy enough that I think it would be worthwhile for you to start a Twitter account if you don’t already have one. (When a Scoper starts a broadcast, a notification goes out via Twitter, so that is yet another reason to have the Twitter account.)

As is true with a lot of mobile tech, you can pick up the basics in, like, two minutes, but you can also spend days learning refinements and getting better with it. I recommend taking a look at resources such as the Beginner’s Guide to Periscope. (Along with its good overview, I would also recommend thinking about your “handle” on Periscope. It will default to your Twitter handle if you use that to set up your account, but you’re not required to use the same handle, and you may want to choose a different one. However, you cannot change it later, so be sure about it before completing the account setup.)

Although that resource is useful, it’s not rocket science–just following the prompts within Periscope will get you there. UPDATE: I would also recommend you take a quick look at some practical tips I have discovered.

Once you have things set up, follow @ProfDonnKing on Twitter and on Periscope (I’m using the same handle both places). That way you will get a notification when I start a broadcast.

Without the app, you can still follow along by going to my Periscope web site. You can watch the event live, or view it here for 24 hours following the live event.

24 hours may not be enough time, though, and so I have also set up an account that will preserve a copy of the broadcast. You can view that at my Katch web site. (I will update this post later with a link to the specific event.)

I hope you can join us in some fashion, and if you do, that you will post comments here to let us know how you used it, and your thoughts about both the event and Periscope.