As the first semester of classes in the NEXT Classroom starts to wind down (what? already?), we are looking ahead at what we can do, change, add, take away, reconfigure, realign, start, fill in other cool verb here with the room.
One of the challenges of having the words “New and “Emerging” in the name of this room means that we have to walk a somewhat fine line of keeping the room functional for the students and instructors as well as be willing to make changes that may not really work out so well. Fun and nerve wracking all at the same time.
Changes that we know are in store for Spring 2011 and the lesson learned to cause that change.
- Re-imaging the laptops and teacher station. LESSON LEARNED: Dual boot machines with multiple users is much harder to deal with than we imagined.
- Adding Respondus Lockdown Browser to both Mac and PC sides of student laptops. LESSON LEARNED: We didn’t think about the need for this in the first image. Oops.
- Updating Flash on PC side. LESSON LEARNED: Suddenly YouTube and other flash based video sites stopped working for us. Odd.
We have our next slate of classes scheduled with classes starting at 8 am every day. For Spring 2011, we will have:
- DSPW 0870 (Developmental Writing)
- MATH 1630 (Finite Math)
- BIOL 1110 (General Biology I)
- GEOL 1310 (Concepts of Earth Science)
- WEB 2700 (Web Design for Mobile Devices)
Things we are considering for next year include exploring these two technologies:
- Doceri: an iPad based app that can control AV equipment, a computer and act as an interactive whiteboard
- PollEverywhere: polling service that can use web and texting as a way to polls students (like clickers)
Image: ‘Time For Change‘